Welcome to Chain Net Apparel CIC (CNA). We are a small Community Interest Company based in Portsmouth looking to increase basketball participation by providing coaching, affordable basketball wear and hosting events to bring our community together.
CNA was created after an article that was released in 2016 regarding funding cuts for Team GB basketball. This made for extremely difficult reading as cuts coming from the top would likely have a ripple effect on grassroots basketball and this did not sit right with us.
Basketball is the second most popular team sport in the UK for 11-15-year-olds with 32% of children participating. Overall 336,000 people aged 14-25 or above play basketball in the UK at least once a month so to me this tells me the interest is there but the infrastructure is not. Basketball also has a major impact on our deprived communities that not all sports can reach, 18% of basketball clubs are located in the most deprived areas of the country which is double the figure compared to rugby, netball, cricket & hockey.
CNA has been running since 2018 and we are slowly growing but more importantly, we are slowly making progress on our main aims.
A quick review of some of our accomplishments that have helped the basketball community.
- Our biggest project to date was in 2021 when we co-lead Orchard Park basketball court transformation. You can read more here – Community
- Established a new UK tournament which includes a FREE kids session.
- Created new sessions for teenagers & adults.
- Since 2022 we have managed to host kids camps during every school holiday.
- Apparel supplier for Portsmouth College Basketball Academy.
- Sponsored various basketball events around the UK – GG3x3 Kids Clinic, World Club Basketball Tournament, Summer Madness
- Raised funds to support the Black Curriculum who are striving to roll out Black History into the school syllabus
England is just coming off a successful Commonwealth Games campaign by winning Gold & Silver medals in 3×3. Our next goal is introducing 3×3 basketball to Portsmouth, you can read more about 3×3 here – FIBA 3×3
We’re always trying to innovate with various projects so If you’d like to stay up to date on how we’re doing, enter giveaways or join in with our basketball discussions then please follow on social media. We are over on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tik Tok & Youtube.